(Ἰουστινιανόπολις; Ioustinianópolis). Place on the peninsula of Miletus ( Milesia), first mentioned in an inscription of the time of Justinian from the Sacred Way in Didyma (unpublished). Possibly identical with Didyma, which, however, in Byzantine sources always appears as Tò Hierón (Τὸ Ἱερόν, from this Turkish Jeronda), or with a deserted city discovered in 1995 on the Gulf of Akbük [1. 304f.].
1 H. Lohmann, Survey in der Chora von Milet, in: AA 1997, 285-311.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Lohmann, Hans (Bochum),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 21 January 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e604140>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510