Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 16 of 72 |

Kandahar
(116 words)

[German version]

(today Šahr-e Kohna). Capital of the satrapy Arachosia, rectangular city of the Kushans ( Kushan) and Kushano-Sassanids, in three parts: 1. the fortified residential city with central citadel, 2. two suburbs, 3. a Buddhist monastery with stupa and aqueduct system. A rock inscription of Aśoka (Greek Aramaic bilingual inscription) contains a religious-social proclamation of the Maurya ruler. The choice of the two languages indicates the settlement of Greeks and Syrians in the 3rd cent. BC. A Greek architectural inscription contai…

Cite this page
Brentjes, Burchard (Berlin), “Kandahar”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 02 June 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e608050>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲