Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: Prev | 1 of 465 |

Kerameikos
(154 words)

[German version]

Ancient name for a dḗmos / district of Athens ( Athens II.7), stretching from north of the Athenian agora to the Academy; originally a swampy plain crossed by the Eridanus [2], in which lay the Athenian potters' district, but above all, the chief cemetery of the city since the sub-Mycenaean period. In the 6th cent. BC, it developed into the central necropolis of Athens, crossed by various roads, and divided by the Themistoclean Wall (479/8 BC); the Dipylon Gate lay in the area of the K. The K. formed the beginning of the sacred road to Eleu…

Cite this page
Höcker, Christoph (Kissing), “Kerameikos”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 18 January 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e612790>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲