(Λάβδαλον; Lábdalon). Site at the northern rim of the Epipolai-Plateau of Syracusae, where a fortress was built by the Athenians in 414 BC. This was taken from them by Gylippus shortly after his arrival (Thuc. 6,97,5; 98,2; 7,3,4). Fabricius located it east of Scala Greca, above the descent of the antique roadway Syracusae - Megara from the plateau. Before him, it was thought to lie more to the west.
K. Fabricius, Das ant. Syrakus (Klio-Beih. 28), 1932, 19f.
H.-D. Drögemüller, Syrakus, 1968, 15f., fi…
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Olshausen, Eckart (Stuttgart) and
Falco, Giulia (Athens),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 20 November 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e627370>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510