Lake in southern Etruria in a small volcanic crater, modern Lago di Martignano. Augustus had an aqueduct built from here, the aqua Augusta Alsietina, which provided water for the naumachia in Rome and the nemus Caesarum (Frontin. Aq. 1,11; 2,71) in Trastevere. At Careiae (modern Santa Maria di Galeria) it reached the Aro, an outlet for the lacus Sabatinus (modern Lago Bracchiano), which added more water; an overflow channel was intended for irrigation. The aqueduct continued south at the foot of the Ianiculum; the water was not potable.
Cite this pageUggeri, Giovanni (Florence), “Lacus Alsietinus”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 13 August 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e628050>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲