(Λεανῖται; Leanîtai, Ptol. 6,7,18). People on the north-east coast of Arabia between Gerrha and the Šhaṭṭ al-ʿArab, after whom the Leanitian Bay (Λεανίτης κόλπος) is named. The territory of the L. included the town Malláda (variant Mallába; perhaps Rās at-Tanāqīb or Rās Munīfa), the Chersónēsos promontory (probably Rās al-Arḍ), the port Itamós (probably the modern city of Kuwait) and the Adárou pólis (probably opposite the island of Qurain). The L. (Plin. HN 6,156) on the Leanitian or Aelanitian Gulf are the Liḥyān in north-west Arabia on the Gulf of Eilat.
Cite this pageMüller, Walter W. (Marburg/Lahn), “Leanitae”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 07 December 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e633170>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲