Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 14 of 255 |

Lechaeum
(172 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Macedonia, Macedones

(Λέχαιον; Léchaion). Harbour of Corinth [1] on the Corinthian Gulf, 3 km north of the city, connected with it by a double wall in the classical period (c. 450 BC) [1]. The inner harbour basin, which is silted up today to a large extent, is still recognizable, also an outer harbour, few other remains, e.g. a large early Christian basilica [2]. Xen. Hell. 4,4,12 mentions ship sheds, and sanctuaries of Poseidon (Paus. 2,2,3; Callim. H. 4,271) and of Aphro…

Cite this page
Lafond, Yves (Bochum), “Lechaeum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 06 June 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e633340>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲