(Λεπιδότων πόλις; Lepidótōn pólis). Town in upper Egypt, modern Nagʿ el-Mescheich opposite Girga, Egyptian probably Bḥdt-jtt, with remains of a temple of Ramesses II and the rock tomb of a high priest. The chief god was the lioness Mḥjt; but the lepidotus fish was also worshipped here (cf. Hdt. 2,72; Str. 17,812; confirmed by the find of a naos filled with fish bronzes).
F. Gomaà, s.v. Mescheich, LÄ 4, 107
H. Kees, s.v. L., RE 12, 2066f.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Jansen-Winkeln, Karl (Berlin),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 20 January 2022 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e701730>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510