Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Lessa
(61 words)

[German version]

(Λῆσσα; Lêssa). Village on the Argolian Acte on the border to Epidaurus, presumably near modern Ligurio, with Athena sanctuary. Literary evidence: Paus. 2,25,10; 26,1. Inscriptions: IG IV, 906-912; 1611.

Bibliography

A. Frickenhaus, W. Müller, Aus der Argolis, in: MDAI(A) 36, 1911, 30

R. L. Scranton, The Pottery from the Pyramids, in: Hesperia 7, 1938, 537.

Cite this page
Lafond, Yves (Bochum), “Lessa”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 17 October 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e702320>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲