Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 10 of 255 |

Letrini
(97 words)

[German version]

(Λετρῖνοι; Letrînoi). Village on the road from Elis to Olympia with a sanctuary of Artemis Alpheiaia, to the north of Alpheius [1], localized near modern Pirgos or further west, near the village of Agios Ioannis. In Pausanias' time it only consisted of few remaining houses. References: Paus. 6,22,8-11; Xen. Hell. 3,2,25; 30; 4,2,16; Lycophr. Alexandra 54. The local form of the name is found on inscriptions and in Xen. Hell. 4,2,16 in MSS Λεδρῖνοι (Ledrínoi).

Bibliography

F. Carinci, s.v. Elide 1, EAA2, 447f.

E. Meyer, s.v. L., RE Suppl. 11, 876.

Cite this page
Lafond, Yves (Bochum), “Letrini”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 05 June 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e702430>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲