Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 17 of 20 |

Leucopetra
(88 words)

[German version]

(Λευκόπετρα; Leukópetra, ‘white rock’). Promontory on the Adriatic coast south of Rhegium (Str. 5,1,3; 6,1,7), modern Capo dell'Armi near Motta S. Giovanni. Together with other ‘white rocks’ (Capo Leucata, Phalaron Akron, Leucopetrae Tarentinorum) it marks the sea route from Greece to lower Italy and Sicily. The light-coloured rocks helped the sailors navigate.

Bibliography

C. Turano, Leucopetra, in: Calabria antica, 1977, 34-44

BTCGI 4, 420f.

M. Giangiulio, Tra mare e terra, in: F. Prontera (ed.), La Magna Grecia e il mare, 1996, 261-263.

Cite this page
Muggia, Anna (Pavia), “Leucopetra”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 02 August 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e702880>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲