Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 23 of 115 |

Lopodunum
(464 words)

[German version]

modern Ladenburg in the lower reaches of the Nicer (Neckar). The Celtic place name, earlier also interpreted as ‘stronghold of Lo(u)pos’, means something like ‘swamp fortress’ [1].

Few archaeological traces of the former Celtic population are preserved. From about the Tiberian period (AD 14-37), Suebi from the Germanic Elbe area settled in the region of the lower river. It is assumed that the Romans themselves settled them, or at least tolerated their settlement, in order to secure the territory on the east bank of the Rhin…

Cite this page
Wiegels, Rainer (Osnabrück), “Lopodunum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 22 February 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e709840>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲