Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 2 of 22 |

Lousonna
(177 words)

[German version]

Celtic oppidum on the site of Lausanne (Switzerland, canton of Vaud) on the northern bank of the lacus Lemanus . Nearby large Roman harbour facilities (vicus) with forum, basilica, temple, sailors' schola, harbour quay and warehouses on the site of modern Vidy. The place name L. corresponds with Celtic names for bodies of water (cf. Sauconna = Saône). The vicus of L. was of commercial significance as a trading centre of the main roads Great St. Bernard - Geneva - Rhône and Aventicum - Augusta Raurica - Rhine. Of the Roman officials in the seaport of L., a curator civium Romano…

Cite this page
Walser, Gerold (Basle), “Lousonna”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 06 December 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e710110>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲