(Hebrew Maqqēdā; LXX, Euseb. On. 126,22 Μακηδά/Makēdá; Jos. Ant. Iud. 5,61 Μακχίδα/Makchída; Egyptian mḳt). Town in the southern part of the western Judaean hill country, known because of a cave (Jos. Ant. Iud. 10,10ff.) and under Josiah belonging to the district of Laḫiš (Jos. Ant. Iud. 15,41); according to Euseb. On., 8 milia passuum east of Eleutheropolis (= Bēt Ǧibrīn), therefore possibly to be identified with Bēt Maqdum 11 km south-east of Bēt Ǧibrīn.
K. Elliger, Josua in Juda, in: Palästina Jahrbuch 30, 1934, 55-58.
Cite this page
Kutsch, Ernst (Vienna),
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 12 December 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e718780>