(Μαρμάριον/Marmárion). Harbour on the SW coast of Euboea, which probably had the purpose of handling the marble from the quarries of Carystus ; today's Marmara where, near the chapel of St. Nikolaos, the building elements of a sanctuary of Apollo Marmarios are located. References: Str. 10,1,6; Steph. Byz. s.v. M.; Nonn. Dion. 13,164; Eust. Ilia 281,4.
F. Geyer, Topographie und Geschichte der Insel Euboia, 1, 1903, 106.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Kalcyk, Hansjörg (Petershausen),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 18 September 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e724680>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510