Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Marruvium
(350 words)

[German version]

(Μαρούιον; Maroúion). Vicus, later municipium, in Central Italy on the lacus Fucinus with a harbour settlement on the Aternus, modern S. Benedetto dei Marsi. Inhabited by Sabellian Marrubii or Marsi [2. 76], it was, from the 2nd cent. BC, dominant among its surrounding settlements (Str. 5,4,2; Sil. Pun. 8,510), and wealthy (Plin. HN 3,106). Various etymologies are cited for the place name [8]: the sea (Serv. Aen. 7,750), an eponymous commander (Cato in Prisc. 2,487,10; Serv. Aen. 7,750; 10,388; Sil. Pun. 8,50…

Cite this page
Gulletta, Maria Ida (Pisa), “Marruvium”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 25 November 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e724960>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲