Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 83 of 92 |

Marsonia
(83 words)

[German version]

Fort and settlement in Pannonia inferior on the river Savus and on the road from Siscia to Sirmium, modern Slavonski Brod in Croatia. The road starting at Siscia bifurcated north of Marsonia; the northern branch led to Sirmium via Cibalae, the southern branch via Marsonia and Saldis. In late antiquity, auxilia ascarii are mentioned as the garrison of Marsonia (Not. Dign. Occ. 32,43).

Bibliography

M. Fluss, s.v. M., RE 14, 1981

TIR L 34, Budapest, 1968, 78.

Cite this page
Burian, Jan (Prague), “Marsonia”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 14 April 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e725140>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲