Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Mascas
(93 words)

[German version]

(Μάσκας; Máskas). Xen. An. 1,5,4 locates the River M. south of the confluence of the Chabora ( Ḫabur) and the Euphrates and describes it as encircling the city of Corsote in the desert. It may well have been only a canal. Etymologically, it is perhaps connected with the Akkadian mašqû, ‘watering hole/place’. There was a Neo-Assyrian town called Mašqite in the north of Anatolia.

Bibliography

R. D. Barnett, Xenophon and the Wall of Media, in: JHS 73, 1963, 4f.

F. H. Weissbach, s.v. M., RE 14, 2069f.

Cite this page
Kessler, Karlheinz (Emskirchen), “Mascas”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 24 October 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e725720>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲