Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 22 of 149 |

Mastaura
(117 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Theatre

(Μάσταυρα; Mástaura). Town in Lydia on the southern slopes of the Mes(s)ogis (Str. 14,1,47; Plin. HN 5,120; Steph. Byz. s.v. Μ.; Anth. Pal. 11,230, with a pun on the place-name), ruins to the north of Nazilli. From the Roman period, municipal institutions and cults are known from inscriptions and coins. In Christian times an episcopal see, it was represented at the councils of Ephesus (431) and Calchedon (451) (Hierocles, Synekdemos 659,8; Not. episc. 1,101; 3,21; 7,91; 8,108; 9,15; 10,156).

Cite this page
Kaletsch, Hans (Regensburg), “Mastaura”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 23 January 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e726050>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲