Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 47 of 92 |

Matrica
(96 words)

[German version]

Auxiliary fort on the right bank of the Danube on the road from Aquincum to Intercisa in Pannonia inferior; the modern Százhalombatta in Hungary. The camp was built in approximately the 2nd century (Itin. Anton. 245,5; Matrice, Not. dign. occ. 33,36). Under Commodus, burgi ( burgus ) were built in the vicinity, which were intended to prevent ‘the clandestine crossing of brigands’ (CIL III 3385). Remains of canabae and baths (partially restored) are extant.

Bibliography

TIR L 34 Budapest, 1968, 78-79

Zs. Visy, Der pannonische Limes in Ungarn, 1…

Cite this page
Burian, Jan (Prague), “Matrica”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 29 May 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e726700>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲