Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 39 of 373 |

Mausoleum Hadriani
(322 words)

[German version]

A funerary monument on the west bank of the Tiber; construction began around AD 130 under Hadrianus and was completed in AD 139 by Antoninus Pius. In a solemn dedication ceremony Hadrian's remains were transferred from Puteoli where he had been buried provisionally. Although the MH was located in the horti Domitiae it directly was connected with the Campus Martiusthrough the newly constructed pons Aelius (dedicated AD 134). The two-storied circular building (diameter: c. 64 m; original height: c. 21 m) stood on a square base with massive projecting cor…

Cite this page
Höcker, Christoph (Kissing), “Mausoleum Hadriani”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 20 January 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e727260>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲