Town of the Senones on an island in the Sequana river (Seine). Caesar (Caes. B Gall. 7,58,2; 6; 60,1; 61,5) uses two forms: Meclodunum (‘fortress of Metlos’) and Metlosedum (‘residence of Metlos’ = ‘reaper’); modern Melun. Metlosedum is probably the Celtic form and Meclodunum the Latin form. At M. a bridge crossed the Sequana (Caes. B Gall. 7,58,5). Sources: It. Ant. 383; Tab. Peut. 2,4. Inscriptions: CIL XIII 3010.
Cite this pageLafond, Yves (Bochum), “Meclodunum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 13 April 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e727930>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲