Melaeneae
(73 words)

[German version]

(Μελαινεαί/Melaineaí, Latin Melaenae). Town in western Arcadia, north of the river Alpheius, 40 stadia (c. 7 km) west of Buphagium, abandoned by Pausanias's time (Paus. 5,7,1; 8,3,3; 26,8), perhaps near modern Kokkora, south of Kakouraeika (Kakouraei). There are some remains of an estate from the Roman period. Evidence: Plin. HN 4,20; Tab. Peut. 7,5; Steph. Byz. s.v. Μελαιναί.

Bibliography

Jost, 74-77

E. Meyer, Peloponnesische Wanderungen, 1939, 101-106.

Cite this page
Lafond, Yves (Bochum), “Melaeneae”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 16 January 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e729900>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲