(Μετεών; Meteṓn). Town of the Illyrian Labeates in the territory of Labeatis (Pol. 29,3; Liv. 44,23,3; 32,3), near modern Podgorica (Montenegro). M. achieved political significance in 168 BC as the meeting place of Pantauchus, an emissary of the Macedonian king Perseus, and the Illyrian prince Genthius (Pol. loc.cit.; Liv. loc.cit.). Towers of the 3rd-cent. BC town walls are preserved; no systematic excavations.
J. J. Wilkes, Dalmatia, 1969, 26f., 166.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Sonnabend, Holger (Stuttgart),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 04 August 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e802350>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510