Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 35 of 503 |

Methydrium
(221 words)

[German version]

(Μεθύδριον/Methýdrion, locally Μετίδριον/Metídrion). City in northern Arcadia with a small number of ruins near the modern M. (formerly Nemnitsa), south of Vytina (at a height of approximately 1000 m). Originally independent, M. belonged to Orchomenus, probably from 400/368 BC, and to Megale Polis from 369/360 BC (?). Border inscription: [5. 664; 1; 2]. Remains of a circular wall dating from the 4th cent. BC. [3]. M. was several times temporarily independent (Syll.3 490,18ff., c. 234/3 BC; Syll.3 559,61; coins). The place is mentioned in Theoph. FGrH 115 …

Cite this page
Lafond, Yves (Bochum), “Methydrium”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 15 June 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e802560>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲