(Μόψιον; Mópsion). Town and hill in the Thessalian territory of Pelasgiotis. In 171 BC, it served Perseus for a time as an advance base out of the Tempe Valley for attacks on the Romans in the Plain of Larisa  (Liv. 42,61,11; 65,1; 67,1: Mopselus). M. may possibly be equated with the town ruins at Makrichori, approx. 25 km north west of Larisa.
F. Stählin, s.v. M. (1), RE 16, 236-240.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Kramolisch, Herwig (Eppelheim),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 18 November 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e809740>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510