(Μυεκφορίτης; Myekphorítēs). Egyptian district, mentioned only in Hdt. 2,166, located on an ‘island’ (surrounded by arms of the Nile or canals) across from Bubastis and inhabited by Calasirieis. The etymology of the name is unclear, it may mean the 20th district of lower Egypt.
A.B. Lloyd, Herodotus, Book II, Comm. 99-182, 1988, 195.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Jansen-Winkeln, Karl (Berlin),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 17 September 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e813650>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510