Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 53 of 430 |

Myrcinus
(163 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Macedonia, Macedones

(Μύρκινος; Mýrkinos). Edonian settlement (Edones), later Greek polis, east of the lower Strymon; both its ancient and its modern name is M. (Str. 7a,1,33). In 513 BC, Darius [1] gave M. to Histiaeus [1] who expanded and fortified the town. After the collapse of the Ionian Revolt,   Aristagoras [3] led more colonists to M.; after his death (497 BC), the Edonians regained M.  (Hdt. 5,11; 124ff.; Thuc. 4,102,2). In 423 BC, after the death of the Edonian king  Pittacus, M. fell to Brasidas (Thuc. 4,107,3). In 3…

Cite this page
von Bredow, Iris (Bietigheim-Bissingen), “Myrcinus”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 23 November 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e814320>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲