(Μύρσινος; Mýrsinos). Town of the Epeii tribe in Elis (Hom. Il. 2,616). According to Str. 8,3,10, Myrtoúntion it was 70 stades to the north of the town of Elis on the coast (cf. Steph. Byz. s.v. Μ.). There is a debate surrounding its identification with a fortress on Cape Araxus in the northwest of the Peloponnese [1. 17-19].
1 B. Sergent, Sur les frontières de l'Élide aux hautes époques, in: REA 80, 1978, 16-35.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Lafond, Yves (Bochum),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 25 June 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e814590>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510