Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Nava
(222 words)

[German version]

A left hand tributary of the Rhine. It flows into the Rhine near Bingium (Auson. Mos. 1: ‘the rushing N.’), present-day Nahe. In early Roman times the Celtic Treveri tribe lived in the area of the N., where there is evidence of some oppida. Under Augustus the Germanic Vangiones were settled along the middle and lower N. The area was then added to the upper Germanic army district. The region by the upper reaches of the N. was part of Belgica. In the middle of the 5th cent. AD the Franci settled mainly in the lower valley of the N. In contrast to the adjoining high hills…

Cite this page
Wiegels, Rainer (Osnabrück), “Nava”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 11 May 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e818230>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲