Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 27 of 307 |

Neoclaudiopolis
(211 words)

[German version]

(Νεοκλαυδιόπολις/Neoklaudiópolis, Latin Neoclaudiopolis). City in the Paphlagonian district of Phazemonitis to the east of the lower Halys, near the village of Phazemon (Φαζημών/Phazēmṓn, OGIS 532, 40f.) in the territory of the neighbouring township of Andrapa (Ἄνδραπα/A'ndrapa, Ptol. 5,4,6,4; Hierocles, Synekdemos 701,7; Nov. 28 praef.); founded by Pompey in 65 or 62 BC with the name Neapolis (Strab. 12,3,38) as part of the new province of Bithynia et Pontus [7. 33f., 38f., 71ff.], renamed N. under Claudius (IGR 3, 139; [1]), can be placed by mo…

Cite this page
Olshausen, Eckart (Stuttgart), “Neoclaudiopolis”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 10 July 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e819830>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲