(Νεφέλιον/Nephélion). Town in Cilicia Tracheia near present-day Muzkent (formerly Kıcık), 38 km west-north-west of Anemurium on the steep coast of Mt Cragus. Mentioned only in Ptol. 5,7,2 (Νεφελίς/Nephelís) and in the Stadiasmus maris magni 201, then once more as the seat of a bishopric at the Council of Calchedon in AD 451 [1; 2. 61f.].
1 Hild/Hellenkemper, 366
2 K. Tomaschitz, Unpublizierte Inschriften Westkilikiens aus dem Nachlaß Terence B. Mitfords, 1998.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Tomaschitz, Kurt (Vienna),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 16 October 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e820240>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510