Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 44 of 430 |

Niconia
(87 words)

[German version]

(Νικωνία, Νικώνιον/Nikōnía, Nikṓníon). A town in the north of the Black Sea area, northeast of the Tyras (Dniester) estuary, opposite Ophiusa (Str. 7,3,16; Νικώνιον/Nikṓníon: Peripl. m. eux. 61 GGM 1 p. 418; Ps.-Scyl. 68; Ptol. 3,10,16) and near the present-day village of Roxolany. Steph. Byz. s.v. Νικωνία mistakenly located the town on the Danube.

Bibliography

M.V. Agbunov, Davn'ogrečeskii Nikonij, in: Arheologija 32, 1979, 17-25 

G.A. Koselenko, Antičnye gosudarstva Severnogo Pričernomor'ja, 1984, 29f. 

M.L. Ber…

Cite this page
von Bredow, Iris (Bietigheim-Bissingen), “Niconia”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 14 November 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e823050>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲