Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 19 of 225 |

Olizon
(108 words)

[German version]

(Ὀλιζών; Olizṓn) is mentioned in the Catalogue of Ships in the Iliad as belonging to Philoctetes (Hom. Il. 2,717). Demetrius [2] incorporated O. into the newly founded Demetrias [1] in about 290 BC (Strab. 9,5,15). O. was in the southern part of Magnesia [1], opposite Artemisium in Euboea (Plut. Themistocles 8,2). O. is identified with Paliokastro to the east of the village of Lavko on the Trikkeri peninsula and was probably populated until the late Imperial period (IG IX 2, 1217-1221, unnamed).

Bibliography

B. Lenk, s.v. O., RE 17, 2484 

TI…

Cite this page
Kramolisch, Herwig (Eppelheim), “Olizon”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 03 April 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e829950>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲