Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 10 of 108 |

Ovilavis
(149 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Coloniae | Pannonia | Rome

Road junction, already inhabited in Celtic times, with a crossing of the river Traun, modern Wels. Occupied after the incorporation of Noricum into the Roman Empire; municipium (CIL III 11785b; IX 2593) under Hadrian, colonia Aurelia Antoniniana (CIL III 5630; CSIR III 3, 1981 [1]) under Caracalla . It is disputed whether O. was the civilian capital city of Noricum Ripense [2]. Several centres of habitation formed within the walls of O. in the 7th/8th cent. (castrum Ueles fortified in 776).

Cite this page
Dietz, Karlheinz (Würzburg), “Ovilavis”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 10 August 2022 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e902800>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲