Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 18 of 255 |

Paeum
(99 words)

[German version]

(Παῖον; Paîon). Small town with well-preserved acropolis wall in western Arcadia in the spring- and vegetation-rich dale lying across the Ladon and Erymanthus valleys, modern Paleokastro, 400 m to the east of modern Neon Paos. In the early period P. was an independent polis (Hdt. 6,127), later it belonged to Cleitor and in the time of Pausanias (2nd century AD) it was desolate (8,23,9).

Bibliography

F. Carinci, s.v. Arcadia, EAA 2. Suppl. vol. 1, 1994, 332 

M. Jost, Villages de l'Arcadie antique, in: Ktema 11 (1986), 1990, 148f. 

Jost, 45 

Pritchet…

Cite this page
Lafond, Yves (Bochum), “Paeum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 08 August 2022 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e903830>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲