(Παλαίπολις; Palaípolis). Probably a fort of Cyme  (Liv. 8,22,5), possibly the original name of Neapolis . P. is particularly the nickname of Parthenope, the original centre of Naples on the Pizzofalcone. In 327 BC (Liv. 8,22,8), P. was occupied by the Roman consul Q. Publilius Philo who on that account celebrated a triumph a year later (CIL I2 p. 171; Liv. 8,22,8; 23,1-8; 25,10; 26,7). In 1949 a necropolis was excavated in the via Nicotera in Naples whose first phase is characterized by Greek ceramics from the mid-7th cent. BC to the first half of the 6th cent. BC.
Cite this pagePappalardo, Umberto (Naples), “Palaepolis”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 18 June 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e904150>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲