This item can be found on the following maps:
Christianity | Limes
(Παραιτόνιον; Paraitónion). Port c. 300 km west of Alexandria , modern Marsā Maṭrūḥ, the point of departure of the road to the oasis of Siwa (Ammoneion), also called ἡ Ἀμμωνία/hē Ammōnía (Str. 17,799). P. was important as a port and for border security during the Ptolemaic and Roman periods; during the New Kingdom, there was a fortress close to modern Umm ar-Raḫam.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Jansen-Winkeln, Karl (Berlin),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 10 July 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e907790>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510