Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 6 of 95 |

Pathyris
(107 words)

[German version]

(Παθῦρις; Pathŷris). City in Upper Egypt c. 30 km south of Luxor near modern Ǧabalain. The name derived from an old sanctuary to Hathor, Egyptian Pr-Ḥwt-Ḥr ('house of Hathor'), from this also derived the Greek designation Aphroditopolis (Str. 17,1,47). In the pre-Ptolemaic period, P. belonged to the 4th nome of Upper Egypt. Under the Ptolemies, it was the main town in the new nome of Pathyrites. There are numerous Greek and Demotic papyrus finds from a military settlement dating to the 2nd cent. BC.

Bibliography

A. Calderini, s.v. P., Di…

Cite this page
Jansen-Winkeln, Karl (Berlin), “Pathyris”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 24 May 2022 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e909690>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲