(Παξός; Paxós). P. and Antipaxos, collectively known as the Paxoi Islands, 13 km south of Corcyra , still known as P. In 229 BC, they were the theatre of a naval battle during the 1st Illyrian War (Pol. 2,10,1-7). There are a few remains of early Christian churches. Cf. Plin. HN 4,52; IG IX 1, 966.
Philippson/Kirsten 2, 456-459.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Strauch, Daniel (Berlin),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 21 September 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e911110>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510