Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 30 of 225 |

Pelinna
(191 words)

[German version]

(Πελίννα; Pelínna). A city in Thessalian Hestiaeotis (Pind. Pyth. 10,4 and Str. 9,5,17: Πελινναῖον/Pelinna ȋon; erroneously located in Phthiotis in Steph. Byz. s.v. Π., as in Plin. HN 4,32: Magnesia), the modern Paliogardiki east of Taxiarches (15 km east of Trikala); it features a well-preserved 3.2 km long wall round an area of 59 ha. P. gained independent significance only in the 4th cent. BC; from this time on, therefore, Pelinnaei appear more often in Delphic inscriptions as naopoioí (Temple economy) or hieromnemones (cf. Syll.3 p. 340f. and 444f.). P. wa…

Cite this page
Kramolisch, Herwig (Eppelheim) and Meyer, Ernst (Zürich), “Pelinna”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 13 December 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e912500>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲