Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Peltuinum
(133 words)

[German version]

Praefectura of the Vestini, tribus Quirina, in regio IV (Plin. HN 3,107; CIL IX 3314) on a plateau (approx. 870 m) at the foot of the Mons Fiscellus (now Gran Sasso), the present-day San Paolo di Peltuino at Castelnuovo di Ansedonia. Evidence of intensive construction in the period after 43 BC (city wall, theatre and housing; Aqua Augusta, restored AD 78). The decumanus maximus was overlaid by the via Claudia Nova from AD 47 (today 'tratturo'). The settlement concentrated along this road from the 3rd cent. AD. It declined gradually after the earthq…

Cite this page
Uggeri, Giovanni (Florence), “Peltuinum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 26 April 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e912910>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲