(Φανότη; Phanótē). Fortified city in the north of Epirus, in the border region between Thesprotia and Molossia, mentioned only in the context of the third Macedonian War (172-168 BC) (Pol. 27,16,4; Liv. 43,21,4; 45,26,2f.). P. was probably in the Thyamis valley, near either modern Raveni or modern Doliani.
P. Cabanes, L'Épire, 1976, 296
N.G.L. Hammond, Epirus, 1967, 186f., 628f., 676.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Strauch, Daniel (Berlin),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 04 July 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e918130>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510