Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 65 of 106 |

Phlegra
(99 words)

[German version]

(Φλέγρα; Phlégra). According to Hdt. 7,123, the Pallene [4] peninsula originally bore the name of P. In antiquity, P. was thought to be the site of the battle between Heracles [1] and the Giants (Ephorus FGrH 70 F 34; Str. 7a,1,25; 27; Apollod. 1,6,1; 2,7,1; Steph. Byz. s.v. Παλλήνη). The renaming of the peninsula as Pallene can be traced back to the Achaean Pelleneis who landed at the later town of Scione on their return from Troy (Πελληνεῖς/ Pellēneîs, Polyaenus, Strat. 7,47; cf. Thuc. 4,120,1).

Bibliography

E. Oberhummer, s.v. Ph., RE 20, 264f.

Cite this page
Zahrnt, Michael (Kiel), “Phlegra”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 10 August 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e922890>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲