Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 42 of 309 |

Phoenicussa, Phoenicodes
(107 words)

[German version]

(Φοινικοῦσσα/Phoinikoûssa, Φοινικώδης/Phoinikṓdēs, Latin Phoenicusa). The sixth of the Aeoliae Insulae in Plin. HN 3,94, modern Filicudi, between the islands of Aliculi in the west and Salina in the east. The date-palm island (φοῖνιξ/phoînix, Aristot. Mir. 132; Str. 6,2,11) was used for pasture, but at times was settled: a prehistorical settlement has been discovered on Cape Graziano in the east of P., and also numerous graves of the Hellenistic and Roman periods. Below sea-level there are remains of buildings surviving from various eras.

Cite this page
Meister, Klaus (Berlin) and Falco, Giulia (Athens), “Phoenicussa, Phoenicodes”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 07 July 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e923310>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲