(Πίδασα; Pídasa). Fortified Carian settlement on (Mount) Grion, modern Ilbıra Daǧi, above Danişment, with two acropoleis (modern Cert Osman Kalesi) [1; 2. 91f.; 5]. After 494 BC the Persians gave Milesia ὑπεράκρια/hyperákria ('on the heights'), the uplands of Miletus , to the Pidaseis (Hdt. 6,20). P. was a member of the Delian League (tribute of one talent, ATL 1, 535), and concluded a sympoliteía between 323 and 313 BC with Latmus  (cf. ), and between 188/7 and 178/7 BC with Miletus  (cf. [1. 139; 3; 4. 283f.]), which sent a detachment to garrison P.
Cite this pageLohmann, Hans (Bochum), “Pidasa”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 28 February 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e925110>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲