Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 34 of 503 |

Pitana
(132 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Commerce

(Πιτάνα/Pitána, Πιτάνη/Pitánē). District of Sparta (Pind. Ol. 6,28; Hdt. 3,55; Paus. 3,16,9; Plut. Mor. 601b) west and southwest of the acropolis, preferred as a residential area: even Menelaus [1] is supposed to have lived there (Eur. Tro. 112ff.; Paus. 3,14,6). The grave monument of the royal family of the Agiads (Paus. 3,14,2ff.) also lay there. With Mesoa, Cynosura, Limnae and Amyclae, P. was one of the five villages to form the foundling polis Sparta. P. formed one of the divisions (ὠβά/ōbá) of the Spartan cit…

Cite this page
Lafond, Yves (Bochum), “Pitana”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 19 April 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e926310>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲