Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 168 of 373 |

Principia
(102 words)

[German version]

The headquarters or commander's office of a Roman legion camp or fort, located at the heart of the facility as its administrative and religious centre, at the intersection of the two main streets (Cardo, Decumanus). The principia consisted of an open courtyard with a sanctuary for the standards, enclosed by the grouping of the legion's administrative buildings, arsenal and assembly rooms for the officers.

Castra; Praetorium

Bibliography

A. Johnson, Roman Forts of the 1st and 2nd Century AD in Britain and the German Provinces, 1983 

H. von …

Cite this page
Höcker, Christoph (Kissing), “Principia”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 04 July 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1008610>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲