Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Pyrasus
(104 words)

[German version]

(Πύρασος; Pýrasos). City in Achaea Phthiotis (Hom. Il. 2,695) on the northeastern edge of the Halmyrus plain, today's Nea Anchialos. Settled from prehistoric times until the present; in the historical era it belonged to Thebes (Str. 9,5,14). Archaeology: large Christian basilica and other buildings.

Bibliography

F. Hild, E. Hanschmann, s. v. P., in: Lauffer, Griechenland, 578 f. 

P. Lazaridis, Βυζαντινὰ καὶ μεσαιωνικὰ μνημεῖα Θεσσαλίας: Νέα Ἀγχίαλος Φθιώτιδες Θῆβαι, in: AD 25, 1970, 286 f. 

TIB 1, 271 

E. Viss…

Cite this page
Kramolisch, Herwig (Eppelheim) and Meyer, Ernst (Zürich), “Pyrasus”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 05 March 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1015320>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲