Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 6 of 142 |

Qaṣr-e Abū Naṣr
(195 words)

[German version]

('Old Šīrāz', modern Mādar-e Sulaimān), 7 km south-east of Šīrāz (Fars); essentially a late Sāssānid and early Islamic complex (5th-9th cents.). Three Achaemenid stone portals, which aroused great attention from travellers as early as the 19th cent., proved to be parts of the palace of Darius in Persepolis which had been brought to Q. to decorate much later buildings (they have since been returned to their original place). In the Achaemenid era, Q. is probably to be identified with the Tirazziš or Šīrāz of the Persepolis ta…

Cite this page
Wiesehöfer, Josef (Kiel), “Qaṣr-e Abū Naṣr”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 20 January 2022 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1016490>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲